Low Level Laser and Primary Lymphedema

Lymph Node Infarction, Diabetes, Prader Willi Syndrome, Buerger's Disease, Clark's Syndrome, Axillary Web Syndrome, Post Thrombotic Syndrome, Sed Rate, Chronic Myofascial Pain, Kawasaki Disease, Duncan's Syndrome, pulmonary edema, thoracentesis, pleurodesis, lung fluid, Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM), Restless Leg Syndrome, Inflammation, Lipomas, Crohn's Disease, Panniculitis, Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Phelan-McDermid Syndrome - 22q13 deletion, lymphoproliferative disorders, blood tests. amniotic band syndrome, nerve damage, hives, leg edema, omphalocele, Podoconiosis

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Low Level Laser and Primary Lymphedema

Postby alice77 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

HI Everyone
I am a new member and I was wondering if anyone has any information on low level laser and the treatment of Primary Lymphedema of the foot/ankle.
Most of the literature I have read so far focuses on secondary lymphedema of the arm (post breast surgery) with positive benefits.

I live in St. John's Newfoundland Canada we have a laser clinic here. I have consulted with them and they said they could do the treatments, however it will require quite a few and no guarantee of results (I guess that is the case with everything).

A bit about me, I am presently 33 years old, I started having edema in my left foot/ankle in 2005, i kept being told i was retaining fluid, but for what reason?? I had trouble with varicose veins at the time so my doctor thought the swelling may have had something to do that. I had my veins treated using schelerotherapy with excellent results but the swelling did not leave. just a little over a year ago I finally got diagnosed with primary lymphedema by a registered nurse who I was getting fitted for compression stockings by. She was 100% positive it was primary lymphedema.

My swelling is manageable as long as I keep compression on it but the summer months are so very difficult.. Along with the heat and not wearing compression on my feet/legs all day at work my foot gets quite swollen. This is why wanted to try laser, i realize it is not a cure but i am wiery because of the fact it may not work and that the treatments will add up very quickly. I do have some insurance coverage for this, which is a relief.

Anyone that has any information would be greatly appreciated!

AC
alice77

Re: Low Level Laser and Primary Lymphedema

Postby patoco » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 am

Here are some of our pages on this:

une 22, 2008

Listed below are our pages regarding lasers, low level lasers, laser workshops, patient experiences and discussions:

Laser Treatment

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... atment.htm

Laser Treatment - Sara's Experience

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... rience.htm

Low Level Laser

viewtopic.php?t=114

Laser Workshops Information

viewtopic.php?t=781

FDA Clears Laser-Based Lymphedema Therapy

viewtopic.php?t=702

Laser Use in Lymphedema

viewtopic.php?t=729